“A Trip around the World of Human Rights” – FAU Human Rights Talks (Winter Term 2021/22)
We are very grateful to look back on a virtual, yet truly memorable trip around the world of human rights!
It held the opportunity to discuss national human rights challenges with students and young scholars from all over the world, learn about their unique perspectives and exchange different approaches with them.
During our journey, we discussed the human rights relevance of – among many others – air pollution in India, the situation of the Rohingya in Bangladesh, mining in indigenous peoples’ territories in Brazil, the humanitarian situation in Ethiopia, climate litigation in Norway, Covid sanctions in Poland, Euthansia in Italy, …
We say “thank you” for these inspiring Human Rights Talks!
Below you can trace the different stops of our journey. Here you can find more information on each stop.
Below you can find more information about the topic of each of our stops. Click on the number of the respective stop on the timeline.
The Case of Euthanasia: Merging the Judicial and the Political Level
– Upcoming public referendum on the removal of a controversial section of the Italian criminal code prohibiting the «murder of the consenting party».
– The Italian parliament has been ordered to legislate on the matter of euthanasia within a year by the constitutional court – as yet unsuccessful.
Sanctions for violations of „COVID restrictions ” on the example of masks – the Polish case
– Quickly enacted criminal law provisions during the initial stages of the pandemic and their human rights relevance.
– Direct application of the Polish constitution by the courts in coping with unconstitutional sanctions.
The Regulations and Practices Between Economic Development and Human Rights Protections
– Ambitious targets in terms of economic growth, investment as well as poverty reduction and correspondingly flexible and business-friendly legislation.
– Impact of this policy framework on human rights of workers.
Air Pollution in India as a Human Rights Issue
– Extreme air pollution throughout large cities with serious health consequences, factual energy and development needs impeding treatment as a human rights issue.
– Short-term political goals driving environmentally unfriendly policies; difficulties with public interest litigation.
Humanitarian Crisis and Situation in the Tigray Region
– Developments leading up the war in the Tigray region, parties to the conflict.
– Humanitarian crisis, particularly children without access to aid.
Democracy & Discrimination based on Sexual Orientation in South Korea
– Criminalization of homosexual relations under the Korean military criminal law and jurisprudence of the Korean constitutional court.
– Deconsolidation of democracy in South Korea, factual and theoretical background and charateristics of Korean society.
Human Rights & Climate Litigation in Norway
– History of oil production in Norway and economic significance.
– 2020 Supreme Court of Norway case: Greenpeace and Nature and Youth v. The Norwegian State.
The 2020 National Security Law in Hongkong
– Impact and contents of the 2020 National Security Law, enforcement bodies.
– Compatibility with international law and the “one country, two systems” principle.
Violence Against Women in the Maldives
– Prevalence of violence against women and emerging issues.
– Rates of investigations/prosecution and public perception of the problem.
Mining in indigenous land in Brazil
– Impacts of mining in indigenous land and analysis from the perspective of the Inter-American human rights system.
– Regulation of mining under Brazilian law, especially legislative proposal of 2020 (Bill 191/2020).
Indigenous Peoples, Mabo (No 2) and Sovereign Borders
– History of Indigenous Peoples (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, First Nations) in Australia and general human rights protection.
– Convergence of native title and immigration.
Human Rights Violations in Turkey after the failed 15 July 2016 Coup-Attempt
– Coup attempt, Gülen movement and subsequent state of emergency.
– Human rights violations in the aftermath of the coup attempt.
Rohingya Crisis in Bangladesh
– Situation of the Rohingya People, particularly since 2015 attacks.
– Relocation to Bhasan Char, pushbacks by neighboring countries and international law framework.